Thursday 19 January 2012

My Top 30 Most Anticipated Films of 2011: Review

Last year I created a six part series entitled ‘My Top 30 Most Anticipated Films of 2011’ and so now, a year later, I’ve decided to look back at the 30 films I was looking forward to to see how many I actually got to see, how many were actually released (!) and what I thought about the ones I did manage to watch. 
Look out for another 2012 series coming up soon!
If you missed it last year click here to take you to the first part!

127 Hours
Sadly, despite being released right at the beginning of 2011 and so had a whole year to watch it I haven’t had a chance to see it... until this Sunday! When it is on C4! I cannot wait and shall review it next week! At long last.
The Adjustment Bureau
Ah! One I actually got to see when it came out in the cinema with my family and we all really liked it. It was soon squashed by the incredible Source Code released a few months later. It wasn’t by any means the new Inception, but it was an interesting concept with some great acting!
Bel Ami
Yet to be released, there is word that it shall be hitting our screens in the spring on the 2nd of March. I’m not as excited to see it as I was last year, but I’m sure there’ll be some buzz as it stars Robert Pattinson, Uma Thurman, Kristin Scott Thomas and Christina Ricci. 
Black Swan
The Black Swan. Who would have known what a phenomenon it would become. I remember watching it in the Cinema when it was released and thinking this was one beautiful, messed up movie and everyone lapped it up, even winning Oscars. I think it’s safe to say that it did well!
Blue Valentine
I’m really rather sad that I am yet to see this film as it was so well acclaimed last year. Michelle Williams, and indeed Ryan Gosling, has gone from strength to strength last year and Blue Valentine seems to mark the beginning of the furore that now surrounds them. I believe it is to be shown on TV soon and so will leap at the chance when it does.
Brighton Rock
I couldn’t wait to see this and it didn’t disappoint! It was fantastically directed and had a fantastic intense atmosphere that didn’t hold back. I think the critics were a little too harsh about the film as, yes, there were some flaws but overall Andrea Riseborough and Sam Riley both were incredible in finding the souls of their characters.
Ceremony
This film seemed to pass by, which was a shame as it appeared to be an intriguing concept. Hopefully one day I’ll find the DVD somewhere and will finally get to see it. 
Contagion
Contagion was actually much better than expected! All the way back in January it was still shooting but I could tell it was one to look out for by its excellent star cast and the tantalising plot. I still feel a little weary about people sneezing on the bus!
A Dangerous Method
One to look out for in 2012 (with a release date in the UK of 10th February) it has even more buzz now due to Michael Fassbender’s performance. I am still patiently anticipating this...
Drive
For many people, including magazines such as Total Film, Drive turned out to be the film of the year! So what a found that was! Being a few weeks off 18 when it was released I just missed it at the cinemas but can’t wait to see the gorgeous Carey Mulligan and Ryan Gosling in this excitingly hyped film...
Friends with Benefits
Friends with Benefits was plastered everywhere last summer and rightly so as it appeared to be a knowing romantic comedy for the modern age. I am still very much excited to see it as it is released on DVD next month!
The Future
An indie film that some liked and some didn’t, I can see why it didn’t go down well with mainstream audiences as from what I saw of the press packs it was a bit of an oddball film. When it is shown on TV I may record it, but I’m no longer too fussed.
Hanna
Hanna seemed to be an interesting blockbuster but with an indie twist and so perhaps didn’t connect with either audience when it was actually released. I still love the trailer and am intrigued to see it but it didn’t work out to be as big as I’d hoped. 
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Harry Potter was always going to be a dead cert, and it didn’t disappoint. In terms of anticipation it has to be one of the biggest of the year for a lot of people. I can’t wait to finally get my hands on the DVD to see it all over again...
The Help
The Help was a surprise hit as I don’t think even I was sure when I included it last year. Emma Stone was the only thing that excited me but, I’m assured, it was also a lovely heart-warming film too. 
Homework
Homework ended up changing its name to ‘The Art of Getting By’ and, as with The Future, didn’t quite get the buzz that I was anticipating. In hindsight I can see why, as a mixture of a teen movie, a comedy, an indie and a romance it was a little bit messy, but I’m still interested to see Freddie Highmore’s performance. Perhaps ‘Restless’ would have been a better bet. 
The Impossible
The Impossible is still a way off being completed as it is still in post production with no word of a release date. It is still an interesting concept looking at the Boxing Day Tsunami  starring Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts, but I hope it isn’t too controversial...
Jane Eyre
I’m pretty disappointed I wasn’t able to go see this when it was released, but my local cinema is doing a repeat screening soon, so hopefully I’ll be able to catch it then. I’m still rather excited to see this with Michael Fassbender and Mia Waskowska starring, it looks to have a similarly beautiful wild look to it as Wuthering Heights did (another film I missed but can’t wait to see!). 
Life in a Day
I finally got to see this when it was shown on TV at the end of the year and it was as inspiring and thought-provoking as I believed it to be! A Britain in a Day is even being created now, to coincide with the Olympics this summer.
The Lucky One
I completely forgot about this film if I’m honest, but it appears that it has been pushed back to May so there is still time to excited. It’s going to be hard though as it looks to be a soppy clone of Dear John, starring Zac Efron. What was I thinking?
Never Let Me Go
Never Let Me Go turned out to be one of my favourite films of the year! I absolutely fell in love with it and am still mightily impressed by both Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan’s performances. It is so tender, yet so emotional. I love it!
One Day
Along with Never Let Me Go, this was another very highly anticipated film and I had to wait a while longer for it too. It was disappointing that the critics didn’t warm to it but I still love it for what it is: a great adaptation of an extraordinary book and a romantic comedy that has real emotional depth behind it and has an original story - something which is hard to find these days. I was still impressed with it, even if being a fan of book meant I got frustrated in parts, and am looking forward to getting my hands on the DVD.
Paul
Ha, ha, Paul. Unfortunately I missed it in the cinema but I heard many a great thing about this film. I’m sure it will surface in the TV guide soon and so am looking forward to when it does.
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
I don’t know whether it was because it was my first experience of the mind-blowing technology that was IMAX but I really enjoyed this film, despite its reasonably low reviews. I’m not itching to get the DVD, but it was decent enough!
Rango
Hmmm, when Rango was finally released it didn’t do anything for me anymore. Looking further into the film it just didn’t seem that funny (or good for that matter) and most people seemed to agree with me. 
Red Riding Hood
Oh dear, this was a bit of a flop wasn’t it? I never got to see this and yeah, I’m glad I didn’t as it seemed quite a bit too cheesy for me. 
Sherlock Holmes 2
Now this one I can get behind! This was definitely worth the wait and just about lived up to expectations even if it wasn’t, in my opinion, as good as the first. 
The Tree of Life
I was pretty excited about this one and so were a lot of people apparently! It may have seemed a bit pretentious but I’m still intrigued to watch it as soon as it premieres on TV.
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1
I don’t think its much of a surprise that Part 2 is definitely one of my most anticipated of 2012 and Part 1 was way better than I was expected which was a great surprise! They really stepped it up a notch and I’ll be sad to see it end...
Woman In Black
My last most anticipated film from last year was Woman In Black and unfortunately it has yet to be released! I believe next month it will be finally reaching us and I have heard good things so I am still pretty excited...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...