Sunday 8 January 2012

My Top 20 of 2011: Part 2

Welcome to the second part of my Top 20 of 2011! 
Keep reading to find my top 10 songs which I fell in love with this year including my number one...


10. Cassius - I Love You So (Skream Remix)
This song literally took over my life for a good few months at the beginning of 2011. It is ridiculously catchy, so much so that it was covered again by Jay Z and Kanye West at the end of the year. Skream turns Cassius' melody into an incredible dance tune that bowled me over...
Award for the song that needs no video because it is so good goes to...


9. Two Door Cinema Club - Undercover Martyn
To tell you the truth I wanted at least five Two Door Cinema Club tracks in my Top 20 but I had to constrain myself or the band would have taken over! Tourist History was easily my favourite album I bought in 2011: every single song is bubbling with a fantastic infectious energy that you just can't help dancing to...
Award for the most cliche indie video...


8. Nero - Innocence
Nero stormed it last year releasing hit after hit. But it was Innocence, a track released before they went 'mainstream' that had the biggest impact on me. It has everything: a mesmerising melody, a pulse-quickening beat and an epic drop. What more could a girl need...

7. Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks
When I think back at 2011 this tune will be at the foundation of my subconscious. It's fresh, quirky and original and has that ironic feel-good beat with a dark heart lying beneath. And a chorus you just can't not sing along to!
Award for the best montage video...


6. Chris Brown & Benny Benassi - Beautiful People
This song gives me goose bumps. I fell in love with this track instantly and even now makes my spine tingle. I can't imagine 2011 without it: I'd definitely be worse off without it. It has brightened my day many a time and never fails to put a smile on my face!
Award for the video with the most celebs...


5. Arcade Fire - Rococo
Going to see Arcade Fire live was one of the best experiences I had this year. Seeing the band play Rococo (and hearing the song for the first time) and a big effect on me and it instantly touched something in my heart. I couldn't get enough of it for months after the concert in August and is still kicking around in my top playlists. It is by far the song of the year in terms of the fantastic memories it accompanies and I can honestly say that it will always stay with me. 
Award for the best song performed live...


4. Coldplay - Paradise
Para, Para, Paradise. This has to be one of the catchiest songs of the year. When I first heard this in August/September time I knew it was a winner. It took a little while for everyone else (including my own family!) to catch up with me but I'm glad they did as it signifies what Coldplay do best: a communal sing-a-long with meaningful, beautiful lyrics carried along by a powerful chorus. 
Award for the best elephant in a video goes to...


3. Calvin Harris - Feel So Close (Radio Edit)
Wow. From the first time ever heard this in a hot car this summer I knew this was one of the best songs I've ever heard. For months I would play this endlessly and it is one of my most played on itunes ever. The melody reeled me in and it is so full of emotion I cannot begin to explain it. Every time it came on in the car the volume would go right up and the video is ingrained in my memory - it's just so beautiful. 
Award for the most gorgeous and moving video ever created...


2. LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem
Every day I'm shuffling. This song well and truly took over the entire world and, even today, it remains high in the UK charts; finding itself a big part of the pop culture of the year. What can I say about this song? It's mind-blowingly brilliant: the epitome of a fun song that just puts a smile on everyones face. It's easy to dance to and has this quirky charm to it that is just infectious. This song is 2011.
Award for the just the most epic video ever...


1. Jamie xx - Rolling in the Deep (Adele Remix)
I know this song like the back of my hand. I listen to this song almost on a daily basis and, even before I started making a music video for it in June (for my A2 media studies course), just adored it. Making a music video for a song means you become intrinsically familiar with it and... well I should be sick of it by now! But I'm not. Because it is one of my favourite songs of all time. It is just incredible. End of.
Award for the the best song with no video (a travesty I'm trying to rectify) goes to...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...