Sunday 15 January 2012

Hustle: Series 8 Episode 1

On TV: Friday 13th January 2012
Channel: BBC One 9pm
Episode Type: 1/6
In 1 Sentence: Back at last but not completely to their best...


BBC Summary: The Hustle team are back and ready to push themselves to the limit in the search for riches. But with their enemies gathering, even the slightest slip could bring Mickey and the gang down.
1/6 The gang take on the smooth-talking owner of a corrupt gold exchange.

My Review: Oh dear. To be honest I was a little disappointed to this week’s episode - the first of the new season. It was clean and pretty sharp as ever but it has lost a bit of its shine. Know longer raw, clever and interesting the makers are relying on some ridiculously over the top transitions and plot threads that wore a bit too thin. 
It’s frustrating as I know they can do better than that and, as it was the first episode, casual viewers may have switched off as it had too many cringe-worthy moments for my liking. I wanted to like it as I have always been fond on Hustle but I could tell the writers were flagging. The Eddie storyline was almost entirely unnecessary and seemed to be a device to get a character in the right place, which could have been done much quicker without devoting over half the episode to their cheesy banter in the bar. I wanted more action, more cons, more character-pieces. And the music... since when did they use dubstep? It felt a little too forced, trying to be ‘down-with-the-kids’ and it just felt awkward and out of place. 
I really hope the rest of the series will pick up - at least the next episode sounds more promising...
Score: 7.5 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...