Wednesday 31 August 2011

August: Top 20 (Part 2)

This is August's Top 20 Part 2 where I run down the last 10 of my top 20 songs of the month. From 10 to 1 - the biggest song of the month for me. Will you agree? ...


10. Bon Iver - Holocene
Holocene reminds me of twilight soundtrack a little. And in a good way. It is beautifully calm and intricate and just pure joy.
Boy Wonders


9. Example - Stay Awake
A classic 'example' of Examples music. hahaha. I am so funny.... ok. Yeah catchy, dance-y and can't-stop-singing-y - Example in a nut shell. 
Messed up generation


8. Olly Murs (feat. Rizzle Kicks) - Heart Skips A Beat
Olly Murs has somehow improved in my affections after releasing this song. His past attempts have been somewhat on the cheesy side whereas Heart Skips... is more edgy with a good beat and a great reggae feel with the help of the fantastic up and coming Rizzle Kicks.
Street Record


7. Mumford & Sons - White Blank Page
Beautiful. This song never fails to bring goosebumps.
Bookshop Sessions


6. Two Door Cinema Club - Undercover Martyn
I have fallen head over the heels in love with Two Door Cinema Club over the past few months. It has, admittedly, been a slow-burning love affair but my love for them is really burning bright right now. Undercover Martyn has been stuck in my head ALL MONTH!! I really must get my hands on the album... Amazon! Where are you...
Playing on the Floor


5. The Vaccines - Norgaard
This has a fantastic retro feel which really suits The Vaccines sound. Plus it is like, the shortest song ever. Short and sweet I say. 
Retro fun


4. Tinie Tempah (feat. Wiz Khalifa) - Till I'm Gone
At first I was a little resistant to Tinie's new single. I felt a bit to Americanised for my liking. I still think that but I've grown to it over the last couple weeks. If you push past the American production (and exotic videos) then Tinie's British lyrics are still there loud and clear. He's just matured a little. I hope he remembers to retain the quintessentially British raps and innovative production otherwise he'll end up blending into the background.
Showcase of travels


3. The Saturdays - All Fired Up
When I first heard All Fired Up I didn't realise it was a Saturdays song at all. It completely surprised to find out that the pop girl band was behind the song as I had thought it was just a great dance song. Which it is. I had a little issue with having The Saturdays connected with the song. Frankie's rap half way through is just horrendous, but otherwise I try and ignore The Saturdays connotations and just enjoy the song.
Dancing in black waters


2. Modestep - Sunlight
Sunlight is the perfect song to introduce the masses to dubstep properly. It has a brilliant melody, great beat and most importantly a video to get people talking. Love it.
The most epic grandparents ever


1. Calvin Harris - Feel So Close
The best song of the summer by far. It just won't get old. 
American Lives

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...