Saturday 6 August 2011

The Twilight Saga: New Moon

UK Release: 20th November 2009
Watched on DVD: Monday 1st August 2011
Rating: 12A
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
Runtime: 2hrs 10 mins
Tagline: The Next Chapter Begins
IMDb Plot Summary: After Bella recovers from the vampire attack that almost claimed her life, she looks to celebrate her birthday with Edward and his family. However, a minor accident during the festivities results in Bella's blood being shed, a sight that proves too intense for the Cullens, who decide to leave the town of Forks, Washington for Bella and Edward's sake. Initially heartbroken, Bella finds a form of comfort in reckless living, as well as an even-closer friendship with Jacob Black. Danger in different forms awaits.

My Review: Oh boy, Twilight. Just the word causes thousands to either swoon or attack. I loved the first one it has to be said. I bought the DVD, CD, companion books, posters, all that jazz. But that was 2008, I had just turned 15, but I’ve grown up now and moved on. When I saw New Moon for my 16th birthday I was majorly excited of course, as I was for Eclipse and still am for Breaking Dawn. It will always be a part of my teenage years growing up. But I’m not a nuts fan who screams every time they see Edward on screen. I appreciate him, sure, but not a screamer. As for teams, I was always a Team ‘Switzerland’ - neither one or the other.
A reason for the dampening on my fan-ness was this very film. I loved the indie, edgy, rawness of the first film whereas New Moon was shiny, glossy... too hollywood. New Moon was always my least favourite book too, so it was always going to be hard to pull off in my eyes. After the success of Edward in the first film, I’m sure the makers were pulling hairs out after reading New Moon - he’s just not in it all that much. In fact it’s quite a depressing book - something else they glossed over again. Bella’s emotions seemed to be buried, I don’t know whether it was the writing or the performance but I didn’t connect with Bella the way I did with the book. It’s a shame as I loved Eclipse and I’m sure I’ll love the Breaking Dawn movies as that’s my favourite book. New Moon is the sequel that just didn’t live up to the brilliance of the first to me. 
It’s also a shame because New Moon isn’t that bad a film. It’s packed full of action scenes that bring it to life and their is some great shots and cinematography when Bella jumps off the cliff. But the Volturi scenes in Italy didn’t feel real to me - it felt like a set, like a romance fantasy film. Not the raw emotion that was both the first film and the book. It focused on the special effects and fight scenes - not the characters and their feelings. It is well-done, too hollywood for me, but well-done all the same. But it lost the emotion, the reality that made the books popular in the first place. 
Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...