Thursday 27 January 2011

National Television Awards

The NTA’s were broadcast live last night on ITV and there were many surprise winners. 
I am big fans of both Doctor Who and Sherlock and was pretty sure that either one of them had it in the bag. I was shocked that the public didn’t recognise them, but hopefully the BAFTAs will produce the results that the programmes deserve. 

Here is the full list of winners and who I think should have won...
Best Comedy Programme - Benidorm
The long list of nominees was whittled down to Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow, Harry Hill’s TV Burp, Benidorm and Outnumbered. I personally loved Michael McIntyre’s show last year and would have loved to see it win. I was surprised the public didn’t get behind it. It would been great to have seen Outnumbered win, but I didn’t have high expectations as, after all, the NTA’s is a populist awards ceremony.

Best Entertainment Programme - 
I’m A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here!
The other nominations were Big Brother, Mock The Week and QI. I felt it ridiculous that Big Brother and QI could ever be put in the same category, as they are both pole ends of the entertainment spectrum. As a regular viewer of QI and Mock The Week, I felt they were robbed. Year round they produce some of the funniest programmes on television, whereas I’m A Celebrity... is only a few weeks a year. Again the votes showed the lack of taste a lot of the public have. 

Best Topical Magazine Programme - 
This Morning
I have nothing to say on this category, only that it seems the only voters were stay-at-home mums, who were dying to see the This Morning chef cook naked on Thursday morning, as promised. BBC Breakfast was the stand-out for me, if anyone should have won, it should have been them.

Best Newcomer - 
Ricky Norwood, Eastenders
Glad Norwood won, one of the funniest characters in Eastenders, and boy, does Eastenders need all the humour it can get right now!

Digital Choice - The Inbetweeners
Glee was robbed, but so were many of the other nominees from the full list of nominees. Shows like Being Human and Eddie Izzard: Marathon Man were much more deserved than shows such as Peter Andre: The Next Chapter. 

Best Drama - Waterloo Road
In the shock win of the night, Waterloo Road broke the 5 year run of Doctor Who's hold on the title. As a keen viewer of Waterloo Road I was happy that the public have spoken up for it, but it must have been close. As I’ve expressed above I am more than a little annoyed that Sherlock and Doctor Who didn’t get any recognition. What’s strange to me is that Waterloo Road has been ALOT better in the past, but only now they win?! Seems strange to me. 

Most Outstanding Serial Drama Performance - 
Lacey Turner, Eastenders
Anyone who has watched a single episode of Eastenders in the last six years, or indeed, last weeks Being Human will know what an incredible actress Lacy Turner is. I really hope she has success after Eastenders. Her next few choices will make or break it for her. She was well deserved. 

Best Entertainment Presenter - Ant & Dec
Again the public’s unfaltering love and loyalty to the two most famous geordies of all time shone through. How many more times they can win is beyond me. I think Dermot O’Leary thoroughly deserved it, after building up his profile over the past few years into a intelligent, subtly funny presenter.

Best Factual Programme - Top Gear
Very well deserved, although there was strong competition as factual programming has been really strong this year. Top Gear has found a special place in the nations hearts and we should all be proud of how well it has done, not just at the NTAs but internationally. There is no other show like it. 

Best Drama Performance - David Jason
David Jason won based on his performance on A Touch Of Frost, a programme I’ve never seen, so cannot judge.
From looking at the full list of nominees, I wanted either Hawes and Glenister who were superb in the final series of Ashes to Ashes or Matt Smith for Doctor Who. But my ideal winner would have been Benedict Cumberbatch for Sherlock a programme which has literally changed the way I view television. Remarkable.

Best Talent Show - The X Factor
Always the fiercest battle as the highest raters come out to fight for the public’s affection. I personally am more of a fan of Strictly Come Dancing, but did get quite hooked into The X Factor this year (didn’t we all!). What I hate most about The X Factor winning is Simon Cowell’s smug face. Don’t why... just irritates me. 

Special Recognition - Bruce Forsyth
Providing us with the quote of the night - “This being this kind of night, this would be a good night to announce my retirement... but I’m not bloody going to!” There were many a gasp from the audience - mainly from Tess and the rest of the Strictly crew it seemed. Bruce brings endless bounds of energy, and lights up Saturday nights. I hope he has another few years in him yet!

Best Serial Drama - Eastenders
And the big one goes to... Eastenders! I’m glad they won as Eastenders is my favourite soap (and only 1 of 2 that I watch, the second being Neighbours). It certainly had some big story lines this year, which Eastenders continues to deliver effortlessly, bringing high drama to our screens 4 nights a week. I’m glad to see that recent controversy hasn’t tainted the public’s view of the show, although it’s interestingly the votes were cast in October, so things may have changed, especially with Coronation Street’s tram crash plot during the December. The Serial Drama category is always a close one, so we'll see what the rest of the soaps bring out over 2011 to try and bag a gong next year!


So 
there we have it! Who do you think should have won?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...