Friday 21 January 2011

Enchanted

UK Release: 14th December 2007
Watched on TV: Sunday 16th January
Rating: PG
Runtime: 1hr 47mins
Tagline: This fairytale princess is about to meet a real Prince Charming.



IMDb Plot Summary: A classic Disney fairytale collides with modern-day New York City in a story about a fairytale princess who is sent to our world by an evil queen. Soon after her arrival, Princess Giselle begins to change her views on life and love after meeting a handsome lawyer. Can a storybook view of romance survive in the real world?


A Quick Review: I hadn’t seen this film up until now, as I was generally under the misconception that it was a ‘family’ film, therefore for kids. I’m not debating the family part, but it definitely wasn’t just for kids. Being a 17 year old, I am reasonably hard to grab during a family film, so I generally avoid them.


The beginning of Enchanted was ridiculously cheesy, but I stuck with it as I knew at some point (hopefully soon) the main character would come into the ‘real world’ and things would pick up.  I’m glad I did as some of the jokes weren’t half bad (although most are in the trailer) and I found Giselle played by Amy Adams quite engaging, if not a little irritating. I like how it played on the message of fairy tales and true love, even if the message of the film was, in fact, true love. The ending was simply absurd, but as a ‘family’ film I suppose all the loose threads had to be tied. 


It was unrealistic, but that is the point - it is meant to be a ‘modern day fairytale’, so I’m sure an 8 year old today would love this film and I almost wish I was younger so I could appreciate it. 

Perhaps running a little long, it was pretty good viewing on a sunday afternoon.
Score: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...