Thursday 14 July 2011

Senna

UK Release: 3rd June 2011
Watched in Cinema: Wednesday 13th July 2011
Rating: 12A
Genre: Documentary, Biography, Sport
Runtime: 1hr 45mins
Tagline: The legend of the greatest driver who ever lived.

Plot Summary: Spanning his years as a Formula One racing driver from 1984 to his untimely death a decade later, Senna explores the life and work of the triple world champion, his physical and spiritual achievements on the track, his quest for perfection and the mythical status he has since attained.
My Review: Senna is stunning. 
I went into this film not knowing anything about Senna - least of all his death, so needless to say I was quite shocked at the ending. But even before that it was evident from the beginning that this film was something special. Beautifully put-together, Asif Kapadia the director and his crew have crafted from archive footage an incredible dramatic story of Senna’s life, almost as if it was planned to make this film at the beginning of his career. I haven’t seen a documentary or indeed any film so lovingly created for a long time. Each shot is poignant, exciting, moving. 
And for me who doesn’t know much or care much for Formula One (I was with my father who is the complete opposite who also, of course, loved the film) I was pleasantly surprised to find myself engrossed in the film, the races, Ayrton’s life. Somehow we got to know his life intimately as the film swept through each moment effortlessly. We saw his passions for racing, Brazil and his family. But most importantly we saw a man prepared to stand up for what he believed in in his beloved sport. Voicing his opinions in driver’s meetings and often being backed by the whole room. What I especially admired was the decision not to use talking heads. Instead voices of the people involved,, colleagues and family members spoke over the footage driving the story on, hearing their personal takes on each situation. 
The relationship between Senna and Alain Prost was a complicated one, so for the filmmakers to be able to put this, and the details of Senna’s life, across so well in less than two hours is a phenomenal achievement. 
I am so pleased to have seen it and I am sure it will stay with me for a long time now as the film was so moving, filled with so much emotion as well as being absolutely thrilling. I urge you to seek Senna out as know matter what your experience or knowledge is of Formula One racing I can promise you a fantastic breath-taking, profound and inspiring experience.
Score: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...