Saturday 9 April 2011

The Crimson Petal and the White

On TV: Wednesday 6th April 2011
Channel: BBC2 9-10pm
Episode Type: Four-part adaptation


In 1 Sentence: Dark, slow and sensual drama, which is not always a good thing

BBC Summary: Follow Sugar into the underbelly of Victorian London seething with vitality, sexuality, ambition and emotion.

My Review: Although set in Victorian London, The Crimson Petal and the White felt incredibly modern, almost a parody of corset drama. In fact, take away the lavish costumes and the gothic sets, and it would fit perfectly in modern london. And that’s not a compliment. 
What struck me most was how unrealistic it all was. Sugar, the prostitute, played by Ramola Garai whom I usually enjoy but was cold an unconnected in this, was wearing high-necked lavish dresses while her colleagues wore low-cut dresses. She was presented on a plate as charming, intelligent and sought-after, without any evidence to prove so. It was patronising in a way and gave it an off vibe throughout. Nothing much was explained either, there were no backstories or much depth of character. 
I’m not sure whether I’ll watch the rest of the series: I think I’d prefer the book to be honest.
Score: 5.5/10
Do you agree with my score?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...