Tuesday 13 March 2012

This is Spinal Tap

UK Release: 4th May 1984
Watched on Recorded TV: Saturday 3rd March 2012
Rating: 15
Genre: Comedy, Music
Runtime: 1hr 22mins
Tagline: Does for rock and roll what "The Sound of Music" did for hills
IMDb Plot Synopsis: In 1982 legendary British heavy metal band Spinal Tap attempt an American comeback tour accompanied by a fan who is also a film-maker. The resulting documentary, interspersed with powerful performances of Tap's pivotal music and profound lyrics, candidly follows a rock group heading towards crisis, culminating in the infamous affair of the eighteen-inch-high Stonehenge stage prop.

My Review: This was an oddball of a film alright! The ridiculously cheesy comedy can be forgiven due to the icon status this film has. To begin with it was difficult to settle in to but was you just went with it their were a few laugh out loud moments and I can see why this has become a classic. The acting was tremendous in the sense that it was so realistic and honest it felt 100% genuine - which is why it was so successfully funny! So successful in that that many American’s though Spinal Tap was real, forcing the band to release a record for real! That’s what I call ironically realistic - so real it became real! It’s those ‘I-can’t-believe-this-is-happening’ moments that make this work as this could be any band, any time.
Perhaps it was the generational difference but it was hilarious to me, more amusing and I don’t think I’d rush to see it again. It was a little awkward but I suppose that’s part of the charm, I guess. If nothing else this was useful for my studies as if there was ever a postmodern film - this is it! The film begins with the director talking to the audience about the film and the film is made up of some sort of hyperreality. 
This is Spinal Tap is one to watch if you’re up for a nostalgic mickey-take on band’s gone by...
Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...