Saturday 3 March 2012

Rachel Getting Married

UK Release: 23rd January 2009
Watched on Netflix: Friday 27th January/Sunday 5th February 2012
Rating: 15
Genre: Drama, Romance
Runtime: 1hr 53mins

IMDb Plot Synopsis: A young woman who has been in and out from rehab for the past 10 years returns home for the weekend for her sister's wedding.

My Review: I wanted to like this film. At first I found the documeraty style of filming interesting and refreshing but it soon irritated me and the realistic, improvised nature of the entire film left me feeling incredibly uncomfortable - so much so I found it hard to finish the film. 
It was too realistic. Too long. Too close to home, I suppose. The acting was incredible because it felt like a peak into this families lives, albeit a family that doesn’t exist as there were some over the top cringe-worthy moments - I’ve never seen a family so diverse and encompassing in real life either; it wasn’t funny, it was just awkward to me. Anne Hathaway of course deserved every award nod she got but I don’t think I’ll have see this film again and I’ll certainly never choose to.
There were emotional depths and subtext and I appreciate what the film was trying to do but I just really didn’t like it at all. Unfortunately.
Score: 4.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...