Thursday 25 October 2012

The Iron Lady

UK Release: 6th January 2012
Watched in the Cinema: Thursday 4th October 2012
Rating: 12A
Genre: Biography, Drama, History
Runtime: 1hr 45mins
Tagline: Never compromise
IMDb Plot Synopsis: Elderly and a virtual prisoner in her own home due to her concerned staff and daughter Carol, Margaret Thatcher, Britain's first woman prime minister, looks back on her life as she clears out her late husband Denis's clothes for the Oxfam shop. Denis is seen as being her rock as she first enters parliament and then runs for the leadership of the Conservative Party, culminating in her eventually becoming PM. Now his ghost joins her to comment on her successes and failures, sometimes to her annoyance, generally to her comfort until ultimately, as the clothes are sent to the charity shop, Denis departs from Margret's life forever.

My Review: I was glad to see The Iron Lady come up on my local cinema’s ‘silver screen’ list as I was upset to have missed out on it the first time round at the beginning of the year. There was so much hype around it, it won 2 oscars and it stars Meryl Streep - how could I have missed it?!
Therefore I came to the film with reasonably high expectations and while it was a pretty good film I was still a little disappointed. Admittedly I can’t deny that Meryl Streep wasn’t incredible as Margaret Thatcher. She got the accent and mannerisms right, at least according to my mum and grandpa. 
Which, I believe, highlights my biggest issue with the film. I didn’t know Margaret Thatcher. She was way before my time so I don’t really have many feelings towards the woman. Yes I’ve heard of ‘Maggies Britain’ and the miner’s strikes but I don’t really know much about her. I think if I’d known more I’d have enjoyed the film more as it would have meant more to me. 
Saying that, it was very educational. I had very little knowledge of 70s/80s politics, the Falklands war and Margaret’s background. Or of how she is living today. Yet. I can’t help but wish there was more of her when she was younger so I could understand her more.
And so political opinions aside this film was a lovely little character study of the woman as she is now, of all she’s been through and how she got to become the ‘Iron Lady’ we think of now. And for that I rather enjoyed it.


Score: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...