Tuesday 12 February 2013

Another Earth


UK Release: 9th December 2011
Watched on DVD: Monday 17th December 2012
Rating: 12A
Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi
Runtime: 1hr 32mins
IMDb Plot Synopsis: On the night of the discovery of a duplicate planet in the solar system, an ambitious young student and an accomplished composer cross paths in a tragic accident.

My Review: I had been anticipating this film for almost exactly a year and so when it didn’t come to any cinemas locally and was ridiculously expensive on DVD I had to wait until I got my chance on eBay. And while I’m still irritated I had to wait to so long it was definitely worth it! 
Another Earth is one of the most thought-provoking films I’ve seen in years. The eery atmosphere of another earth hovering in the sky full of possibilities and quandaries is tantalising. I love how the science fiction element isn’t the central focus but instead it is the character of Rhoda. It begins with the accident and, ironically perhaps, how it is caused due to her being distracted by the second earth in the sky. The ethical questions this film throws up are considerate and continual, right up until that fantastically heart-stopping ending. I was in tears.
The feel of the film is wholly ‘indie’ and that works beautifully to make it feel more tangible and brazen. Brit Marling is becoming more and more of an inspiration of mine as she not only stars in but co-wrote and produced the film too. 
It is such an emotional piece of work. Just the concept throws up so many feelings, but to actually make something so deep and fascinating and unpredictable and exquisite with that concept is so admirable. It would have so easy to screw up, go over the top. Just enough is left to the imagination, for the audience to ponder ourselves. And I adore it for that.

Score: 9.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...