Thursday 20 September 2012

W.E.

UK Release: 20th January 2012
Watched on DVD: Thursday 6th September2012
Rating: 15
Genre: Drama, History, Romance
Runtime: 1hr 59mins
IMDb Plot Synopsis: In 1998, an auction of the estate of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor causes great excitement. For one woman, Wally Winthrop, it has much more meaning. Wally becomes obsessed by their historic love story. As she learns more about the sacrifices involved, Wally gains her own courage to find happiness

My Review: It was hard not to be influenced by the critics disliking the film and yet all the clips I’d seen looked so lavish that I couldn’t resist seeing what it was like for myself. And while after digesting it I can understand how the critics could pick holes in it, I think it was unfairly criticised due to Madonna’s attachment to the project as director. Sure, her previous attempts haven’t been all that great but W.E. was a project of passion and that really shines through. 
Firstly, I actually enjoyed the direction; it had a pretentious arty feel but it worked anyway, reminding me a little of A Single Man. The close shots of Andrea Riseborough were beautiful and each costume of hers was just divine! In fact she herself was divine and definitely the best thing about the film. She made the character of Wallis so very interesting and intriguing - it was hard to take your eyes off her. She wasn’t likeable per se but you completely empathised all the same and the film showed a side I’d never seen before of the relationship between Edward and Wallis. And one I think needed to be shown. But the film wasn’t all about Wallis and Edward, the film was also set in the 90s and follows Wally, a doctor’s wife with a turbulent relationship, who becomes obsessed with Wallis and her story. She visits Sotheby’s every day looking at her things, which are then used as a way of flashing back to the past. Cheesy yes, but it works I suppose. 
I actually grew to like Wally (played by Abbie Cornish) despite how unrealistic her life is. And when a Russian security guard starts to form a friendship with her you can’t help but root for them due to the ‘bad husband’ performance from the excellent Richard Coyle. It seems a little forced, wildly unrealistic and yet suitably romantic to match the scandalous affair of Wallis and Edward. I couldn’t help but get swept up in the entire film and fall for the romance, the music, the cinematography, the scenery and the costumes. I just wish more people could appreciate it for what it is - a period romance with a twist.


Score: 8.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...