Saturday 10 September 2011

Sex and the City

UK Release: 28th May 2008
Watched on TV: Sunday 21st August 2011
Rating: 15
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Runtime: 2hr 25mins
Tagline: Get Carried Away
IMDb Plot Summary: After moving in together in an impossibly beautiful New York apartment, Carrie Bradshaw and Mr. Big make a rather arbitrary decision to get married. The wedding itself proves to be anything but a hasty affair--the guest list quickly blooms from 75 to 200 guests, and Carrie's simple, label-less wedding gown gives way to an enormous creation that makes her look like a gigantic cream puff. An upcoming photo spread in Vogue puts the event--which will take place at the New York Public Library--squarely in the public eye. Meanwhile, Carrie's girlfriends--Samantha, the sexpot; Charlotte, the sweet naïf; and Miranda, the rigid perfectionist--could not be happier. At least, they couldn't be happier for Carrie. Charlotte still has the unrealized hope of getting pregnant. Samantha is finding a loving, committed relationship more grueling than she could have imagined. Miranda unwittingly...

My Review: As a girl it would be almost impossible not to watch some sort of Sex and the City related media in my life time. So when I saw that C4 were premiering the film, I jumped on the bandwagon to see what Sex & the City mania is all about. The results... erm it was okay? I kind of got the feeling that you had to be a fan of the TV show to care and invest in the characters and what happens to them. A lot of the (small) character development was kind of skipped over or not fully invested in as it sort of takes it for granted that you already care. There were a few inside jokes and the characters situations and feelings were never really explained which got a bit confusing. But ultimately it wasn’t a bad movie. Carrie Bradshaw (played by Sarah Jessica Parker, who I’m not really a fan of) was the lead character so was it a coincidence that she was only character I ever really cared about? No. I think the makers made an effort with her, as she had the big ridiculous story-line of marrying Mr Big which was a little over the top and annoying. I don’t really see what she sees in him as he stands her up on her wedding day - he came off as a bit of a jerk, but, again, I suppose you had to have invested in his character for who knows how many years to understand his motives in the film. 
It was hard to properly enjoy the plot and characters because I felt a little left out of the party but it was mildly funny at times and quite nice to look at - which the glamour of New York and endless wardrobe changes from the four women, so it wasn’t all bad. But I think the biggest indication of my feelings toward the film is this: I had forgotten to review it up until now. Yep, it was only a couple of days ago that I remembered that I had seen the film and had neglected to review it, what with the holiday chaos. So it really can’t be that good if I forgot that I had even watched it now, can it?!
So overall, it was a little too nostalgic and cheesy for my taste, but maybe has persuaded me to give the TV series a go to see what I was missing...
Score: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...