Monday 31 October 2011

October: Top 20 (Part 1)

Welcome to the Top 20 of October 2011, where I run down my favourite 20 songs of this past month. Things are definitely picking up in Autumn like I predicted and so my top 3 songs are all very close this month. Let's have a look at numbers 20 to 11, and make sure to come back for Part 2 to see what made my number 1...


20. David Guetta (feat. Usher) - Without You
David Guetta is an annoying little fella, isn't he? Constantly turning out ridiculously catchy tunes that storm the charts with seemingly no effort whatsoever. And with the combination of Usher, and remnants of a U2 song, Without You was never going to fail now, was it?...
The world becomes one

19. Tinchy Stryder (feat. Calvin Harris & Burns) - Off The Record
Calvin Harris will always get a vote from me, and while I haven't heard this a lot yet, I'm loving the vibes around this song. It's an instant winner, and I can't wait for this to be everywhere so I can here it even more!
Thrill-seeking exploits


18. Jamie xx - Far Nearer
I found this song late last month and has been a regular on my iPod all through October, so it couldn't go without a mention. It's atmospheric and intense while being great study music for all the essays I've been writing!
Can't beat some steel drums


17. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
What I can I say? There was an offer on iTunes and I realised that somehow I didn't already have this, so I snapped it up sharp. And ever since I've been wondering how I could have lived without it. Classic tune indeed.
Cheerleader spirit




16. Lana Del Rey - Video Games


Fearne Cotton's continual praise for this song meant it rose hard and fast in the Radio 1 playlist. Constant radio play = stuck in head for me unfortunately. It's not that I don't like this song, it's pretty quirky and has a retro charm, it's just feels a little over-hyped and I feel sucked in by the industry who just wants my money. Well I'm not giving it to them. I'll enjoy it for free and appreciate it as a good song, but no more than that.


15. Cobra Starship (feat. Sabi) - You Make Me Feel

I've had a soft spot for Cobra Starship for a while now, but if it wasn't for Radio 1's near-constant playing of it (or so it felt like) I'm not sure I would have fallen for it quite as hard. The chorus is brilliantly catchy and is a proper feel-good pop song, something which seems to have been missing recently (or at least one that didn't make me cringe up into a ball of cheese)...
Robin Williams in a photo booth... with a beard...


14. Chase & Status (feat. Sub Focus & Takura) - Flashing Lights
Chase and Status release another emotional head banger. Teaming up with Sub Focus makes this even more hype-worthy. This genuinely gives me goose-bumps every time I hear it and I can't wait for it to make it on the A-List at Radio 1. It well and truly deserves it!
Immersive


13. High Contrast (feat. Tiesto & Underworld) - The First Note Is Silent
I wasn't sure what to make of this song the first few times I heard it. In fact, it is only this past week that I've been turning it up and loving it, as I finally see the depths to the song. Tiesto of course is a legend in the dance world, but I hadn't come across High Contrast before, so may be searching for more of his music...
Dark Peoples


12. Rizzle Kicks - When I Was A Youngster
Rizzle Kicks are just fantastic. No one couldn't help but fall in love with them after the infectious summer smash Down With The Trumpets, and their collaboration with Olly Murs scored them a number one. Expect great things from these cheeky chaps...
Childhood nostalgia


11. Nero - Crush On You
Nero. What more can I say. These guys are at the top of their game, bringing dubstep to the mainstream. Crush On You is hardcore and I absolutely adore it. More please!
Twisted revenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...