Wednesday 15 May 2013

The Imposter

UK Release: 24th August 2012
Watched on DVD: Wednesday 15th May 2013
Rating: 15
Genre: Documentary, Biography
Runtime: 1hr 39mins
IMDb Plot Synopsis: A documentary centered on a young Frenchman who claims to a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who has been missing for 3 years.



My Review: After seeing this whip up a storm at the awards ceremonies last year (it won a BAFTA, as well as 10 other awards and 14 nominations) I was immediately compelled to see this film. It felt like one of those documentaries that stays with you and with the incredible reviews, I was so excited to see it. I waited a little for the price of the DVD came down and got it for about £3 in the end which I was very pleased about! Thankfully it was worth the wait, and actually I probably would have paid more if I’d known quite how superb this documentary is. 
I was on the edge of my seat the entire length of the film. I’ve never seen a documentary so full of tension. It was so cleverly done as we were slowly fed information bit by bit, mixing interviews with the family and Bourdin with beautiful recreations. It was so minutely put together, just a film-makers perfection! I especially loved the way the director Bart Layton, smoother together the recreations and Bourdin’s interview by having actor playing Bourdin mime in the exact same way as he speaks in the interview and then cutting back to Bourdin speaking - melding the two of them together. It completely brings it to life in a way that is so much more than talking heads. 
All the interviews are masterfully put together. Bourdin’s in particular, is so intense as he is talking directly to the audience and we look directly into his eyes. It really helps get a sense of him but as the family say, how can you trust a single word that comes out of his mouth? 
The actual plot itself is fascinating, full of twists and turns that if it wasn’t true you would just never believe actually happened. I am in awe of it. And it is definitely one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. It really raises the standard for documentaries to come. If you get a chance I urge you to check it out as it is one experience you won’t forget.

Score: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...