Wednesday 3 April 2013

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

UK Release: 13th July 2012
Watched on DVD: Monday 18th March 2013
Rating: 15
Genre: Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi
Runtime: 1hr 41mins
IMDb Plot Synopsis: An asteroid named "Matilda" is on a collision course towards Earth and in three weeks the world will come to an absolute end. What would you do if your life and the world were doomed? One man decides to spend his time searching for his long lost love from high school during the coming catastrophe.

My Review: Starring Keira Knightley and Steve Carell - two people I never pictured in the same movie! - the film’s premise was thought-provoking and started out well. 
However, it soon fizzled out after it was clear that Knightley and Carell were being set up to have a romantic relationship. The chemistry was none existent and it felt very unrealistic, in fact bordering on ridiculous, throughout. 
It was reasonably engaging and I liked the concept, but it just was not anywhere near as funny as i was hoping it would be. 
My highlight was the ‘Friendsy’s’ scene where they go to a bar “where everyone is your friend” and Gillian Jacobs was a waitress. Being a huge fan of Community it was fantastic to see her do something a bit different and she, at least, got me laughing.
And so while it wasn’t bad, it wasn’t exactly great either. Which leaves me in a bit of a conundrum. I’m not really sure whether I liked it or not. It had some touching moments. And the end was definitely quite emotional but it kind of just, ended, and so I was left feeling quite empty. 

Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...