Sunday 20 May 2012

Things To Do Before You're Thirty

UK Release: 2nd June 2006
Watched on BBC iPlayer: Sunday 13th May 2012
Rating: 15
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Runtime: 1hr 41mins
IMDb Plot Synopsis: A smart, sexy and poignantly accurate comedy drama about a group of twenty-something friends desperately resisting the inevitable - adulthood and responsibility.

My Review: Starring many good British TV actors such as Jimi Mistry, Emilia Fox and Billie Piper, the film began well, albeit a little cheesy and while there was some good character progression and great chemistry between the cast it never quite kicked into gear for me. I don’t know whether it was due to the poor quality film or because it didn’t register with me now in 2012 but it felt a lot older than a 2006 film. It had a ‘realistic’ feel to it but I couldn’t but watch thinking how some of the plot strands were a little far-fetched. The title to begin with has very little to do with the actual plot which irritated me. What you think you’re getting is an interesting film about people in their late 20’s making the most of their youth before they turn 30 but what you actually get is a film about a group of sunday footballers who are trying to play their 500th match but a few obstacles get in the way. You meet their friends and family and see how their lives intertwine etc but, nothing really that refers to turning 30. So I thought it was a mis-sell for me and that perhaps their were too many characters for me to really care about them. It’s a shame as there was some good talent there but it just never really clicked. 
Score: 5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...