Friday 4 May 2012

Post Grad

UK Release: 1st January 2010
Watched on Recorded TV: Sunday 22nd April 2012
Rating: 12A
Genre: Comedy, Romance
Runtime: 1hr 28mins
Tagline: A Pre-Life Crisis
IMDb Plot Synopsis: Ryden Malby graduates from college and is forced to move back into her childhood home with her eccentric family, while she attempts to find a job, the right guy, and just a hint of where her life is headed.

My Review: Oh dear me. This film is painfully cliche and chock-a-block with bad acting. But then I brought it on myself as I went into this film well aware of the awful reviews this film had gotten and yet, I thought, “surely it can’t be that bad?!”. Yeah... I was wrong.
It’s a shame though as the concept had some potential as it was very modern - taking on the recent post graduate’s difficulties in finding jobs - and I’m sure that with a better script and lead actress the film could have been a lot funnier and poignant. I don’t mean to be mean but the film rested on the lead actress’ shoulders and unfortunately she just couldn’t take the strain. She was clearly out of her depth - too sweet and innocent to get to grips with the part and give it what it deserved. 
It was predictable, horrendously cheesy and yet.... vaguely entertaining. I know, I know, but it was a Sunday night and it was a (while cringeworthy) comfortable enough film to watch and occasionally it’s satisfying to watch a film go exactly as you expect (I’m a sucker for a rom-com, what can I say?). Therefore I’m being generous and giving Post Grad a 5.5 out of 10 because it required zero effort to watch. If I’d seen it any other time I’m sure it would have got a much lower score so it was lucky to catch me when it did!
Score: 5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...