Tuesday 22 November 2011

The Young Victoria

UK Release: 6th March 2009
Watched on DVD: Sunday 20th November 2011
Rating: PG
Genre: Biography, Drama, History
Runtime: 1hr 45mins
Tagline: Love rules all.
IMDb Plot Synopsis: Dominated by her possessive mother and her bullying consort, Conroy, since childhood, teen-aged Victoria refuses to allow them the power of acting as her regent in the last days of her uncle, William IV's rule. Her German cousin Albert is encouraged to court her for solely political motives but, following her accession at age eighteen, finds he is falling for her and is dismayed at her reliance on trusty premier Melbourne. Victoria is impressed by Albert's philanthropy which is akin to her own desire to help her subjects. However her loyalty to Melbourne, perceived as a self-seeker, almost causes a constitutional crisis and it is Albert who helps restore her self-confidence. She proposes and they marry, Albert proving himself not only a devoted spouse, prepared to take an assassin's bullet for her, but an agent of much-needed reform, finally endorsed by an admiring Melbourne.

My Review: After seeing this in the cinema over two years ago I have been desiring the DVD ever since. At last I treated myself to it and, boy, was it worth it! This film is gorgeous to look at and has a dazzling soundtrack, so magnificent that if I were to want a soundtrack of my life then this may well be it! But most of all this film is unbelievably moving, touching something within me that many films fail to touch. This is all down to the marvel that is Emily Blunt whose fine acting skills are horrendously underrated and her chemistry with Rupert Friend. The film is packed full of emotion and intensity, whilst paced to the minute - something which is a big bugbear for me watching films. I think it’s that sense of foreboding, knowing that their relationship ends in tragedy that makes it all the more heart-wrenching and tense. I have to say this film holds up well as my second viewing was even better than the first and very inspiring to me. The Young Victoria is definitely now one of my favourite period dramas...
Score: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...