Monday 2 May 2011

The Seven Year Itch

UK Release: 29th July 1955
Watched on TV: Saturday 30th April 2011
Rating: PG
Runtime: 1hr 45mins
Tagline: It TICKLES and TANTALIZES! - The funniest comedy since laughter began!

IMDb Plot Summary: Like many other Manhattan husbands, Richard Sherman sends his wife and son to the country for the summer, while he stays behind to toil. Though reveling in temporary bachelor freedom of lifestyle, he's resolved not to carouse and philander like some others. But his overactive, over-vivid imagination goes into overdrive when a delightfully unconventional, voluptuous blonde moves in upstairs.

My Review: Looking to widen my film horizons a little and watch something before the 80s/90s I decided to have a look at The Seven Year Itch. Described as a ‘classic comedy’ and starring Marilyn Monroe it is a wonder I haven’t come across it before. This is my second ever Monroe film, my first being Some Like It Hot which I loved. 
This film, however, focuses heavily on Tom Ewell’s character who is interesting and certainly a lot less static than my perception of ‘old hollywood’ movies, but not fully engaging. The film sagged a little about 20 minutes in, which was a shame as the concept was good, better than I expected for a film so old.

Despite being confusing at first, Ewell’s ‘vivid imaginings’ were enjoyable - especially when I realised they were takes of older films like From Here To Eternity. I felt very smug when I realised, especially considering I’ve never seen them, but they’re now on my list to watch. I had no idea that Hollywood parodies of other films existed back then so that was surprising and funny!

Back to the film though not much really happened and Monroe’s character, despite being charming and mildly funny was a little 2D and I had no empathy with any of the character’s which I feel is a must in a good film. 
More modern than I’d ever expected, it certainly wasn’t a bad film, it’s just that there are plenty of more contemporary films that I’d rather watch and are worth my time than to watch this again. 
Score: 4.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...