Friday 14 December 2012

Like Crazy

UK Release: 27th January 2012
Watched on DVD: Monday 19th November 2012
Rating: 12A
Genre: Drama, Romance
Runtime: 1hr 30mins
Tagline: I want you - I need you - I love you - I miss you
IMDb Plot Synopsis: Anna and Jacob fall instantly in love when they meet as students at an L.A. university. But Anna is British and when graduation approaches, Anna decides to stay and violate her student visa rather than returning to England. After a visit home, she is then unable to return to the United States. While fighting customs and immigration battles, Anna and Jacob must decide if their relationship is worth the distance and the hardship.

My Review: After a lot of endorsement at the start of the year I was looking forward to finally taking a look at Like Crazy for myself. And while it was as honest and ‘realistic’ as billed I found myself a little disappointed. 
I suppose I shouldn’t of listened to the hype as I was expecting amazing things and while it was still an excellent film there was an awkward undertone which stopped me from loving it completely. Also I was disappointed by Felicity Jones’ performance, something that was praised, as her character annoyed me. For me it was Jennifer Lawrence who gave the film some much needed light from the very claustrophobic and, I hate to say it, pretentiousness of the portrayal of their relationship. 
It was incredibly tragic and frustrating throughout not entirely because of the long distance as it’s supposed to be, but because the chemistry wasn’t quite right and I didn’t believe that they were right together at all. Something which is highlighted by the ending. I hated that ending to begin with, but in hindsight it was the only smart way of making a point to the audience, making it worth watching by marking it out as something more interesting that a usual romance drama.
It is an indie heart and soul and while it suffers from that at times it is till beautiful to watch and keeps you thinking long after the credits...

Score: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...