Wednesday 28 November 2012

Ides of March

UK Release: 28th October 2011
Watched on LoveFilm Instant: Wednesday 31st October 2012 
Rating: 15
Genre: Drama
Runtime: 1hr 41mins
Tagline: Is This Man Our Next President?
IMDb Plot Synopsis: An idealistic staffer for a new presidential candidate gets a crash course on dirty politics during his stint on the campaign trail.

My Review: I narrowly missed out on seeing this film when it was first released (I went to see a preview screening but they ended up showing We Need To Talk About Kevin instead after losing the ‘key’ for it) and so ever since I’ve been eager to finally watch it. And so it was with great enthusiasm that I saw it come up on LoveFilm Instant and got stuck in right away. 
What an incredible film it was! And thoroughly worth the wait as well. It is the perfect kind of clever political thriller/drama which is so hard to get right. But with Ryan Gosling starring and George Clooney both directing and leading you know there’s gonna be some class, or at least some suave sexiness! 
It’s knowing and exposes just the right amount of corruption without unveiling all the enigmas which I found rather smart. 
It had pace and style and each shot just shimmered with intense coolness - I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Evan Rachel Wood were also excellent and the cast gelled very well together. You could tell they would get along in real life and that really helps set the sparks a light. Yet ultimately it is Ryan Gosling who is the biggest star in this film and, like his character, he completely draws you in until you are helpless under his powers. He is incredible.
And even as the credits roll it keeps you thinking, leaving you wanting more. I completely recommend it, even if you’re not usually one for politics in films (like myself). This is definitely the film where you should take exception.

Score: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...