Friday 10 August 2012

My Summer of Love

UK Release: 5th November 2004
Watched on Recorded TV: Monday 16th July 2012
Rating: 15
Genre: Drama, Romance, Thriller
Runtime: 1hr 26mins
Tagline: The most dangerous thing to want is more.
IMDb Plot Synopsis: In the Yorkshire countryside, working-class tomboy Mona meets the exotic, pampered Tamsin. Over the summer season, the two young women discover they have much to teach one another, and much to explore together.

My Review: The thing that most attracted me to this film was Emily Blunt. I’ve adored everything I’ve seen her in and so was expecting more of the same. Unfortunately, while she was absolutely incredible as always, the rest of the film wasn’t quite as good.
As you can see above the film is actually rather short, however it was a very slow and quiet film, dull in places, and so felt much longer. 
I was disappointed as while the atmosphere is quite uneven and ominous from the beginning, I just really disliked all the characters. You don’t really get to know them well and I just didn’t connect and thus care about the ending as much as I believe you’re supposed to. It was poignant though. And the uneasy feeling it gives you remains whenever I think back on the film.
It just wasn’t what I expected and had the potential to be a bit more. That isn’t to say it’s a terrible film - far from that. I just didn’t really like it. 

Score: 5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...