Monday 13 June 2011

Far From Heaven

UK Release: 7th March 2003
Watched on TV: Friday 10th June 2011
Rating: 12A
Genre: Drama, Romance
Runtime: 1hr 47mins
Tagline: What lies beneath the surface? What hides behind the walls? What imprisons desires of the heart?

IMDb Plot Summary: Cathy is the perfect 50s housewife, living the perfect 50s life: healthy kids, successful husband, social prominence. Then one night she surprises her husband Frank kissing another man, and her tidy world starts spinning out of control. In her confusion and grief, she finds consolation in the friendship of their African-American gardener, Raymond - a socially taboo relationship that leads to the further disintegration of life as she knew it. Despite Cathy and Frank's struggle to keep their marriage afloat, the reality of his homosexuality and her feelings for Raymond open a painful, if more honest, chapter in their lives. 

A Quick Review: I’m going to put myself out there straight away and say I didn’t like this at all. 
I found it dull and boring and while I could appreciate the acting from Julianne Moore and the beautiful autumnally colours, the film felt stale to me and *whispers it* nothing really happens. I know it is meant to be really deep and political etc etc but it didn’t connect with me to make any sort of impact.
It was surreal at times, reminding me a little of Pleasantville (a film I enjoyed), it was very slow paced and the ending was unsatisfying.
After viewing the film I looked at its critical resposnse and found 5 star reviews! This is one film where I really don’t ‘get’ or understand those reviewers. I’m not saying it isn’t a good film, but I personally didn’t enjoy it, therefore I cannot recommend it.
Score: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...